Onion soup with shredded swiss cheese
- 2 large sweet Vidalia onions, sliced into rings
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled and halved
- 10 mL (2 tsp) fresh thyme, chopped
- 45 mL (3 tbsp) olive oil Salt and pepper, to taste
- 30 mL (2 tbsp) butter
- 30 mL (2 tbsp) flour
- 1 litre (4 cups) hot beef stock
- 375 mL (1 1/2 cup) shredded Swiss cheese
- 12 slices toasted ficelle bread
- Preheat oven to 200°C (400°F).
- In a large bowl, mix the onion rings, garlic, and thyme with the olive oil until well coated. Spread on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, season to taste. Bake on the middle rack of the oven 40 minutes or until golden. Turn onions after 20 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
- In a large pot, meltbutter over medium heat, add the onion mixture and cook 2 to 3 minutes. Add flour, blend in and cook 1 minute. Add beef stock and mix well.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes. Place 30 mL (2 tbsp) of shredded Swiss cheese in the bottom of each one of 4 overproof soup bowls.
- Divide the hot soup among the bowls. Cover with 3 slices of toasted ficelle and top with 60 mL (1/4 cup) of shredded Swiss cheese.
- Broil 3 to 5 minutes until cheese is golden and bubbly.
- Serve immediately.